Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Churches Full of Caravaggio.

Since I didn't post photos from Ostia Antica yesterday, here a few:


This is one of many mosaics in the market that told what the store sold. This one in particular sold fish sauce that was produced from a variety of fish.

This is one of the few insulae that remain standing. They were just apartment like buildings that easily caught fire.

More purple flowers! I'm especially obsessed with this one.

These are remaining columns from where a window once was that looked out into a garden from the baths of the forum. 

Another pretty flower. 

Today was such a long day, and I don't even know why. We went to a lot of churches to see Caravaggio paintings and also to the Pantheon!

Marcus Aurelius Column. 
There are 22 bands of war stories carved around his column from his campaign to the Danube. 

The Pantheon.


The ceiling of the Pantheon.
I just thought it looked cool. 

The Calling of St. Matthew, St. Matthew and the Angel, and the Martyrdom of St. Matthew by Caravaggio in the San Luigi dei Francesi.


Madonna di Loreto by Caravaggio in the Sant' Agostino.

After class, Cristina and I went further down Via del Corso to shop around. Then we finally wore ourselves out, came back to the Ercoli, and I napped for a little bit. Buttttt, today is a special person's birthday -- happy birthday, Brandon Chase Tucker!! I'm so happy you're turning 21 and I desperately wish I could be there to help celebrate. But I know you'll have fun the next few days. :) And please survive until I get back! I love you, kiddo, and I'm so happy you're in my life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment