Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Seven Days Till Takeoff Part 2

Well this was supposed to go up yesterday, soo... pretend like I posted this on Tuesday.
I'm pretty sure it seems like I got to Rome a few days ago... Uhh where'd the time go?! It's been a full month and I cannot believe it. We have exactly seven more days left until we return back to good ole 'Merica, and it's such a bittersweet feeling. I'm so excited to get back to all the people I love and care about, yet I'm so sad to leave the city, country, and culture I've fallen in love with. I want to post pictures from yesterday's day trip to Orvieto and today's class; however, uploading pictures to this blog can be super slow and annoying. And since finals are coming up on Saturday, I'm not sure how often I'll be uploading pictures, or blogging for that matter. We have class tomorrow down in Ostia Antica again, and then Thursday and Friday's classes combined on Thursday since public transportation on Friday will not exist. The ATAC (Rome's bus and metro company) workers are doing some sort of strike, I don't know.. Point is, from Thursday night around 9 pm to Friday afternoon, there will likely be no busses or metros running. So Dr. Anderson decided to have two class sessions on Thursday, and I'm perfectly fine with that -- just means I'll get to study more on Friday before two of the three finals scheduled for Saturday. 

Yesterday, we went to Orvieto and I have well over two hundred pictures. It is such a cute little town on top of a mountain. Maybe on Saturday after both of my finals, I'll post pictures from this cute Medieval town. We had such a blast.

Today, we went to the Baths of Diocletian -- the largest imperial baths built, only slightly larger than the Baths of Caracalla. Inside of the ruins exists the Church of Saint Mary of Angels and Martyrs. After that, we traveled to St. Peter's Basilica and got to explore the beautiful basilica designed by many people that took over 200 years to complete. Visiting St. Peter's was by far the most people I've had to deal with on this trip.. even more people there than at the Colosseum it seemed like. When we were done there, Dr. A led us to the Castel Sant' Angelo, or the Castle of the Holy Angel. This used to be the Mausoleum of Trajan and Hadrian. Around Medieval times, it was converted into a lookout post for the Vatican. On the top of the Castel, there is a wonderful view of the city of Rome. I promise I'll post pictures soon though. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment