Monday, May 21, 2012

The First Day I Haven't Napped.

Since I didn't post pictures from yesterday, I'm going to combine yesterday's and today's. These past four days of being here, I've taken 279 pictures... whoops. So needless to say, my computer's memory is going to be super full by the time I get back home. 
On the 20th, we went to:
The Church of Saint Andrew at Quirinale. 
It is known as the "pearl of the Baroque" because it was designed by Bernini and displays the Baroque style magnificently. The walls and columns use revetment, which was developed by 1st century BC Romans to create and catch natural light by using different colored marbles. 
The Trevi Fountain.
It's definitely one of the most famous fountains in Rome. Designed by Nicola Salvi, it was completed in 1762, and serves as a facade for the terminal of the Aqua Virgo aqueduct that ancient Romans used to retrieve water from. 

Just got done throwing my coin in. Yayy. :)
Thought this guy was pretty neat.

The Victor Emmanuel Monument.
When I came to Rome seven years ago, I always thought this was a huge building that was used for the government or something. But it's really just a facade to an old church that backs up behind it.

Thank God for Sweep Panorama.
This is the view from the top of the Victor Emmanuel Monument. I almost died when I turned the corner and saw this.

My wild boar at Il Buco. 
The floor in the Basilica of San Clemente. I want this in my future house!

And this is the ceiling in San Clemente. I absolutely love the ceilings in the Baroque churches. So beautiful, and sooo flashy. Also, San Clemente is built on top of four layers of buildings. The layer below the current church is a 4th century AD basilica, the layer below that is a second story turned first story house, and the layer below that is the first story of a mansion thought to be the house of a relative of the Emperor Domitian. It was incredible going down the stairs to each different level of centuries. 
Colosseum!!

The Santa Maria Aracoeli Church in the Palazzo Senatorio.

And this is where I get my water from almost every day. The water from the faucet is safe to drink but doesn't taste all that good; yet, this water tastes pretty darn good and is very safe to drink. Hard to believe.

We saw a lottt more buildings and statues than the ones I've posted about, but these were the coolest ones to me. Oh and we went to the Capuchin Crypt today instead of napping.. you weren't supposed to take pictures, but I snuck one.
It was absolutely amazing what kind of artwork they could create with the bones of the body. I loved ittttt. I got to use my anatomy skills!

Tomorrow it's supposed to rain all day, so we're staying at the hotel and having our introductory sessions for the three classes I'm taking over here. And we don't meet until 10 AM, woot woot!
Oh and P.S. I'm starting to really love the people I'm on this trip with -- the girls are so much fun!






1 comment: